Okra Soup also known Okro soup is a popular soup in Nigeria and Africa at large. One thing I like most about this soup is that it is highly nutritious and served with fresh vegetables.
As nutritious as the soup is, it is very easy to prepare although some people argue that it is time consuming, but one thing I know is that once you chop your Vegetables, you are good to go.
There are two major ways that you can use to prepare Okra Soup and still enjoy it, that is either frying it with oil or simply by cooking it directly with your ingredients and adding oil without frying it.
I am going to guide you on the step by step ways of preparing Okra soup either ways;
Ingredients For Both Types
4 Cups of Okra (200g)
1 Big Onions
1 Cup of Crayfish/ Big Crayfish (optional)
Nigerian Pumpkin Leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste
Your Favourite Cube
2 Spoonful of Palm oil
Meat; Beef, Shaki, Turkey etc
Fish; Stockfish, Black Fish, Iced Fish etc.
Periwinkle 50g (Optional)
N/B; You can decide not to add some of these ingredients depending on your taste, just put the ones you can afford or normally use.
1. If you are making use of stockfish, cook the stockfish for 30
minutes because stockfish take more time to get done.
2. Wash and cut your Okra and Onions and note that the smaller you slice your Okra the more it will draw, so the choice is yours.
3. Wash and slice your pumpkin leaves. You can also decide to cook your Okra soup plain without adding vegetables.
4. Grind your crayfish and pepper.
5. If you are cooking with periwinkle, wash it very well and set aside.
How To cook Fried Okra Soup
1. Add the other fishes that you want to use to the already cooked stockfish, (but if you are making use of ice fish, you should put it last) then add your meat and cook together.
At this stage, add your pepper, onions, salt to taste, cube and allow to cook for 30 minutes or until you are sure that all things in the pot are done.
2. Put down the pot and put another pot on fire, pour your desired quantity of palm oil on fire and immediately the oil gets hot, pour in your sliced okra and fry by stirring gently, while stirring, be adding little water from the cooked meat and stockfish and continue stirring because this will make the soup to draw more. Okra soup is best enjoyed if it is thick, so avoid cooking with much water.
3. Gently pour the all the fish, meat and it’s content, stir and check for salt and any other lacking ingredients, add up and cover to allow it boil.
4. When you are sure that the Okra has boiled, add the periwinkle and then pumpkin leaves and allow to simmer.
5. Bring it down and serve with Eba, pounded yam, fufu etc.
How To Cook Okra Soup Without Frying
The only difference here is that you don’t need to fry the Okra.
1. After cooking your Stockfish, Meat and other types of fishes that you will use, and adding the required ingredients used above.
2. Gently pour in your Okra into the stock, stir gently and add palm oil.
3. Allow to simmer, but don’t overcook the Okra.
4. Add your periwinkle and your pumpkin leaves.
5. Allow to simmer, bring it down and serve.